Renewing your permit
Get a head start on your application
The first two components of the application are now open:
What you need to know
Timelines and deadlines
Registration renewal opens on July 26, 2021.
Registration renewal closes on September 30, 2021, at 11:59 p.m.
- Your application and fee must both be submitted by September 17 to ensure your permit is processed by October 1.
- Your application will be considered incomplete if we have not received complete application.
Why does the renewal application need to be submitted before September 17, 2021?
All applications are required to be reviewed to ensure all requirements are met. If the application requires further follow up this can take longer than the standard 24 hours to approve the permit.
Renewal application components
It may take up to two hours to complete your application.
A complete application includes:
- Submitting a continuing competence learning plan
- Completing the Protecting Patients from Sexual Abuse and Misconduct course
- Updating your employer information
- Reporting your practice hours
- Answering the eligibility questions
- Acknowledging you have read and understand the consent and declaration requirements
- Payment of your renewal fee
Once you submit your completed application and pay your renewal fee, CARNA staff will assess your application to ensure registration requirements are met.
Renewal completion confirmation
Upon approval, you will be sent a confirmation of registration email to the email address on file with CARNA. Until you receive this email, your renewal application is still in progress and has not been approved.
What happens if you don’t renew on time?
You will not be able to practise on October 1 if you miss the deadline.
To regain your RN or NP status, you will need to apply to reinstate your registration ($100) in addition to paying your renewal fees.
Renewal fees are set on an annual basis by the CARNA Council.
Registrants that are retiring or taking a leave
You require a practice permit to practise in administration, research, education and clinical settings. If you won’t be renewing your practice permit, change your class to a non-practicing status.
Contact renewal at email@example.com or 1.800.252.9392 ext. 348.
Monday – Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.