Student and Novice Nurse Program (SNNP)
This program aims to support educators who instruct undergraduate nursing students and novice registered nurses in understanding the regulatory framework and their responsibilities and accountabilities in providing safe, competent and ethical care.
Available supports for educators
We offer educators the option to request a College representative to deliver a virtual:
- Presentation on a specific topic,
- Facilitated discussion on a specific topic, or a
- Question and answer session.
For any other inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Introduction to CARNA
Getting ready for clinical practice: considerations for students
Bullying in nursing: recognition & recommendations
Documentation: principles & pitfalls
Where is the line? Professional boundaries and why we need them
Boundaries aren’t always black and white. This session will help make the line a little clearer by identifying:
- expectations for professional relationships
- the differences between boundary crossings and boundary violations
- what to do when the professional boundaries are in question
- professional boundaries related to social media
Professional practice in nursing
Practice standards: play this interactive game
Are you a team player?
As a registered nurse, you will work on a health-care team that consists of a variety of professionals. This session will cover:
- the basic characteristics required for interprofessional practice
- the foundational concepts of leadership
- your responsibilities as a member of the interprofessional team
Restricted activities: what they are and what to do
Scope of practice
Graduating and transitioning to practice
Unsure of what education sessions to request?
Below are some suggestions based on the level of students completing an undergraduate nursing program. However, please feel free to request any topic that meet your students’ learning needs.
- CARNA and the Profession of Nursing
- Registered Nurse Scope of Practice in Alberta
- Practice Standards and Code of Ethics
- Getting Ready for Clinical Practice
- Professional Boundaries
- Interprofessional Collaboration
- Restricted Activities
- Registration with CARNA
- Continuing Competence
- Graduating and Transitioning to Practice
Understanding the Regulatory Framework
Students and novice nurses can register individually on the events page for the sessions.